This was my Aunt Hazel’s favorite.
- 3/4 Cup Sifted confectioners sugar
- 1/2 Cup Chunky peanut butter
- 1 9 inch Pastry shell baked
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup plus 3 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Milk, scalded
- 3 eggs (Separated)
- 2 Tbsp Sweet butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut confectioners’ sugar into peanut butter until mixture is mealy. Sprinkle half of mixture in bottom of shell; reserve remainder.
- To make filling, combine cornstarch with 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the salt; gradually stir in milk. Beat egg yolks until pale yellow; slowly stir in milk mixture. Cook, stirring, over hot water about 7 minutes, until thick. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Pour filling over peanut butter mixture in shell. Cool.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining 3 tbsp. granulated sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling. Sprinkle with reserved peanut butter mixture.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until light brown. Cool, then refrigerate.