This recipe is courtesy of Best Loved Cookies and Candy 2010
- 3 Egg (Whites)
- 1 1/2 Cups White Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cups Light corn syrup
- ALMOND MIXTURE
- 3 Cups White Sugar
- 3 Cups Light corn syrup
- 1/2 Cup Butter (Melted)
- 4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups Slivered Almonds Toasted
- 1 tsp Salt
- Heavily butter 15×10 inch pan. Heavily butter a bowl and set aside. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil about 10 minutes. (if sugar crystals are present, cover and boil for 1 to 2 minutes to allow steam to wash crystals down.). Cook, without stirring, until the thermometer is 238 degrees, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- With mixer running, carefully and slowly add hot liquid in a steady stream over egg whites. Beat 10 minutes longer, or until mixture holds its shape and is luke warm. ( mixture will lose it’s gloss) Transfer to prepared bowl.
- For almond mixture, in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir until sugars dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, about 15 minutes. If sugar crystals form cover and boil 1 to 2 minutes to allow steam to wash crystals down. With a clean spoon, cook and stir over medium high heat until temperature is 275 degrees. (about 15 minutes)
- Pour over mixture in bowl (do not scrape pan). With a large wooden spoon, stir until blended. Combine butter and vanilla, gradually add to almond mixture until blended. Stir in almonds and salt. Transferred to prepared pan. Let stand several hours or until firm.